New ranking system ruins pubs

Tradewinds.ioForumsTradewindsThe PubNew ranking system ruins pubs
  • hellopat4 Registered User 6 Posts Joined 2017/01/05
    9 months ago 0 0

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I just thought I’d state how I feel the new ranking system is affecting the game as a whole.

The system encourages players to “lobby dodge”, a few players are particularly bad for this, and this means that as soon as a player like drizzy or amaya enter a lobby, people leave because they’re afraid they’ll lose their winstreak. This wouldn’t be a problem if the community was larger, but what this means is that each game takes longer to start, and we have fewer opportunities to play each day. This lobby dodging also encourages use of smurf accounts to prevent winstreak loss, although whether this is a problem or not is debatable. The fact that higher level players are avoiding one another and cruising for easy wins means that there’s less competition in each game.

The system also encourages the higher level players to ally up every game in order to maximise odds of winning. This in combination with the lobby dodging means that a lot of games end up being 2 high level players vs a bunch of random pubs who ally up based on locations, and the game is one sided.

I honestly believe the game was more fun before this new system. Whilst I don’t have a problem with a ranking system in general, and I can understand how the previous stay percentage system encouraged a lot of playing for 2nd place, I think a totally new system (mmr?) would be better.

In b4 “ofcourse you dont like the system silver tier scrub”

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of hellopat4 hellopat4.
    tony Game Admin 705 Posts Joined 2016/11/12
    9 months ago 0 0

I agree and as i said this system was made for only very few pple to have a chance. As i said before this is better suited for pro games not pub games. Pple think when i disagree and such its an ego thing when im not even playing into the system , im just trying to look out for the lower lvl players best interest since no one else one site seems to care.

hellopat4 Registered User 6 Posts Joined 2017/01/05
    9 months ago 0 0

I’ve been thinking about it and I think I have a solution to the problems in the ranking system.

It should be made so that you can only become a certain rank by winning games with players of that rank in it. For example, if you’re a bronze player, win a game with a silver or above player to rank up. to get to gold win 2 games with gold players or above in them etc etc. The “in a row” requirement should be taken out completely, this way it encourages players to challenge themselves and try and take on higher level players in order to rise through the ranks, rather than lobby dodging and cherry picking games to keep up a winstreak. It could even be made so that winning a higher tier lobby gives more “wins” than a low tier lobby, based on the ranking of the player who wins, e.g. a silver player who wins a lobby with a grandmaster and 2 platinums would instantly be promoted to gold or platinum or w.e

Contenders for each rank will have to play against higher level players in order to rank up, as opposed to stomping low level lobbies to “prove” you’re a good player, this should keep games more balanced and fun for everyone involved. It should also help to address the smurfing issue, so long as we don’t punish higher ranked players for losing games (which would give them reason to smurf to avoid going down).

What do you guys think?

oogeyboogey Registered User 70 Posts Joined 2016/11/12
    9 months ago 0 0

if someone is that bad that they need to lobby dodge to get a better title, more power to em ^^ its just a game and i think thats silly too but at the same time. you act like people arent going to dodge lobbies anyway

BombISquad Registered User 42 Posts Joined 2016/11/12
    9 months ago 0 0

*Cough* xAresx *Cough* dodges allllll the time

Registered User 273 Posts Joined 1970/01/01
    8 months ago 0 0

And all players should receive points for playing. So newer players have a reason to continue to play. I said from the start that this system is counter productive to community growth. The better players are familiar with who the top 10 are. rating should also be shown on lobby entry. Hiding the rating of players is probably the dumbest idea ever thought of. Its funny that a selected few can see win percentages/ratings while the rest are left blind. Just like a selected few can see everyone’s smurfs while hiding their own smurfs from the public.

If diamond/master/grandmaster could only be acheived for ffa/solo wins, we would see 20 current players that are diamond or better be stuck in platinum – and the hardcore pro allying that has erupted would come to an end. Because their would be no benefit for the pros to ally after platinum. Would return a chance to the new players, allied vs solo pros.

Bring real competition back – this smurf pro allying bavmode shit is far from competitive.

Zaph Registered User 53 Posts Joined 2016/12/18
    8 months ago 0 0

I think helopat idea isnt stupid. Nevertheless people smurfing often do it because they feel focused for their name. I fear this system will lead to a hint against high players by smurfs who just want to reach high ranks fast.
    Moreover using leagues is quite close to the former system when game Elo had an impact in point loss or win. The issue will be the same, why a gm would play a game with bronze pple ? He can only lose by doing so. The 3 GM will have no reason to keep playing. Atm there is a race to not be the 3rd gm (the one ejected every new gm). So this system encourage the top players to keep playing.

Atm with 2 or 3 win streak (thats nothing honnestly) you can be diamond. So under master league (there is only 12 spots above), its basically the old system (but maybe you didnt like it neither). People concerned by game dodging are diamonds with a star and masters with a star (a dozen of player). For ex xAresx had no reason to dodge because of score (maybe he just didnt like the lobby knowing he would be solo or sthg but you cant say its related to the score system).

And farming in diamond isnt stupid. If when u get promoted master you have enough points to be gm, you just need 2 more wins. So dodging games in diamond isnt that useful.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Zaph Zaph.
    8 months ago 0 0

To many diamonds/masters/gms allying with each other to better their streak. Slaughtering everyone who started playing and likes the game enough to try n learn it. Doesnt take long to realize they are outmatched by a very large margin every game due to these pros allying and bavmode playing(never splitting up and solo burning).

Anders System Admin 110 Posts Joined 2016/10/26
    8 months ago 0 0

“If diamond/master/grandmaster could only be acheived for ffa/solo wins” this will be the case for the next season. Starting in diamond, you will not be able to promote without the solo winstreak. And as for winstreak we are probably adding win rate, I am not sure if it is a winstreak replacement yet though.

Instead of chopping a bunch of features, I would far prefer to provide incentive for people to not dodge lobbies. A really stupid example of something you could do is “if you play x games in a day, get a bonus towards mmr or something else”. There are lots of things we can do, but that is a much better route than removing stuff.

If you have any ideas of how we can entice people to play more games and not lobby dodge beyond the solo winstreak requirements i’d be super eager to hear.

Zaph Registered User 53 Posts Joined 2016/12/18
    8 months ago 0 0

I think win streak is far better than win rates to prevent all the issues cited.
    If win rate become important, people will tryhard (I include never allying beginner) on everygame.
    Atm you can easily ally a total unknown or play a lobby in which you know you will end up solo if you have no win streak to keep.

I like the ffa win streak (wont prevent game dodging tho, and i can see teaming issues already and people complaining of loosing their streak vs 2 smurfs/clannies in a 1v1v1)

x-imo Root Admin 94 Posts Joined 2016/10/26
    8 months ago 0 0

I think SOLO winstreak will cause more dodging, players waiting for really bad lobbies that they know they will win 100%. I mean in 1a winstreaks they can ally mediocre players and still win.

8 months ago 0 0

x-imo: I think SOLO winstreak will cause more dodging, players waiting for really bad lobbies that they know they will win 100%. I mean in 1a winstreaks they can ally mediocre players and still win.

I have to agree and only thing add that it would even be more hard due to pple smurfing.

8 months ago 0 0

Maybe anders can make it a bannable offense(24 hours) if some1 smurfs to assist a friend to gain wins when solo/ffa. I know plenty of pussies play this game and will do anything possible to win, regardless of how degrading it is. But I beleive changes should be made to benefit the new players and more active players.. Not pro players/smurfs – The new players should benefit from the system for community growth. Any pro asking to make their winstreaks easier is just a pussy and should be ignored 😛

ArkZ Registered User 37 Posts Joined 2016/11/15
    8 months ago 1 0

Heres the issue;

There is no seperation between Pub, and Pro lobbies anymore.

It’s all mixed together, so people who want a chill game, will undoubtedly at some point come up against a sweaty try hard, and people who care about their rank; aren’t able to have a chill game, because it affects them regardless (Which promotes the ideas of smurfs). You’re also looking at the issue of a mixed skill group. People who’re bronze are going against grand-masters simply because there is no filtering system.

Obviously; my suggestion costs money; but a lot like other games such as League of Legends, CS:GO, WoW, and even WC3 Vanilla games, you need a separation between Pub and Ranked. If you have two bots, use them, and just have one auto-host for “Ranked” games, it means admins don’t have to host it every single time, and if people want to play Ranked, they can invite or wait in the lobby.

Promote each bot in the MoTD, so people know there is a ranked bot, and a public bot avaliable.

With their not being much of a community left anymore, I don’t see this as THE solution, but a solution none the less.

8 months ago 0 0

First off i agree with you , i only support a point system for pub games if it get more pple playing and it hasn’t.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    On top of that now pple are paying for perks and sch somthing i faught every hard agiasnt and basically the reason shocker stopped editeing bc malph wouldnt let it happen. And yes anders and lebron say its to cover costs of server . but we hit that money goal , yet the baacp program isnt free to everyone , so pple still ave to pay to see info on stuff and i now think anders with held stats and such on leaderboards to give reason to pay for baacp rights. It’s like he turned ba into a company and ba at its core has always been players keeping the game going and not whats happened now.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

The problem tho with what your saying is what happens every time 2 ba bots get auto hosted , even the tryhards that want to rank up will still go to whatever lobby fills the fastest , so one bot dies. But hosting progames and having a rank for that is how it should be and makes for more fair lobbies.
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar