Giving up on the ranking system?

Tradewinds.ioForumsTradewindsThe PubGiving up on the ranking system?
  • Registered User 273 Posts Joined 1970/01/01
    2 months ago 0 0

i figure ill go ahead and post about this as well.. since everyone is talkin bout it in lobbies yet to frightened to make a post apparently…

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of LeBron LeBron.
    tony Game Admin 628 Posts Joined 2016/11/12
    2 months ago 0 0

Does it really matter? Games are still being hosted.

Registered User 273 Posts Joined 1970/01/01
    2 months ago 0 0

titties, you really didnt have to reply.. i already knew what u were gonna say

Shal Root Admin 135 Posts Joined 2016/11/11
    2 months ago 0 0

For somebody who takes the leaderboard seriously enough to spend countless hours developing new accounts on new VPNs and safeguarding his standing, it seems pretty odd for you to hate everyone who had a hand in creating that system.

2 months ago 0 0

Crook: titties, you really didnt have to reply.. i already knew what u were gonna say

That was the short vers. Idk how anyone can bitch about the leaderboard not working. Do people forget how long it would take shockers455 to make an update on map? Somtimes a year. Can anyone else but anders make the site , baacp , and leaderboard in our community? No. Have Lebron and Anders done a ton of shit to improve things in a year? Yes.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    All we can ask is that Anders keeps the bot going and if he decides it’s to much for him to give enough time to make a third party bot. Anything else you have to remeber he is a real person with real feeling that may not want to always spend his free time making things for pple who bitch.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
    And yes i was hard on anders and caused headaches when he first took over but it was mostly due to the fact that i didnt agree with a point system for pub games and that shal and x-imo had so much power. And shal is a cold harted prick but i still trust him to run things better then your crazy ass.

2 months ago 0 0

shal , in my post above i own what you called my out in lobby before , but a lot of what i was saying would have been for the best in the long run and just made things easier for anders. He didn’t know how shitty the site can be and players being assholes only bc they need somthing to bitch about. Also Amaya becoming King of pubs and giving up his leadership role didnt help.

Zaph Registered User 48 Posts Joined 2016/12/18
    2 months ago 1 0

“Also Amaya becoming King of pubs”
    I read “king of pups” at first and was so fucking jealous

poilut Game Admin 154 Posts Joined 2016/11/12
    2 months ago 0 0

Same zaph, but maybe we have different priorities

Malpheus Registered User 69 Posts Joined 2017/02/04
    2 months ago 0 0

“King of the Pubs” should have been the pinnacle of achievement. Should have focused on leader boards that nurtured pub involvement, not a hybrid that tries to keep people happy. Just count shit robot.

As people get other life priorities it is easier and easier to not want to do for others, especially a bunch of essentially anonymous trolls that appreciate nothing. That being said I think Anders is pretty committed unless something big has happened.

I’m not aware of what the current thing is, what with ranking this or that, but ranking in general is a bad idea for a pub game. It’s like rating stick ball players while trying to recruit more stick ball players. There are quantitative things you can get at that provide better qualitative ratings, but the ratings weren’t about skill or efficiency, they were also weighted by participation to an extent.

As I’ve suggested before, simple win ratios/kill ratios/burn ratios can establish multiple “best players”. These can be counted by triggers, and the triggers can feed the bot database.

If for some reason the bot stops hosting i’ll pick it up and donate a couple years of it running, no problem. I’ll even have my old bot guy and current programmer write some proper code to generate the lists I described. That being said, Anders is a shit ton nicer than I’ve ever been, I’m rooting that he tolerates you guys more.
    BTW SC2 BA coming still.. 😀

2 months ago 0 0

Malpheus: “King of the Pubs” should have been the pinnacle of achievement. Should have focused on leader boards that nurtured pub involvement, not a hybrid that tries to keep people happy. Just count shit robot.As people get other life priorities it is easier and easier to not want to do for others, especially a bunch of essentially anonymous trolls that appreciate nothing. That being said I think Anders is pretty committed unless something big has happened.I’m not aware of what the current thing is, what with ranking this or that, but ranking in general is a bad idea for a pub game. It’s like rating stick ball players while trying to recruit more stick ball players. There are quantitative things you can get at that provide better qualitative ratings, but the ratings weren’t about skill or efficiency, they were also weighted by participation to an extent. As I’ve suggested before, simple win ratios/kill ratios/burn ratios can establish multiple “best players”. These can be counted by triggers, and the triggers can feed the bot database. If for some reason the bot stops hosting i’ll pick it up and donate a couple years of it running, no problem. I’ll even have my old bot guy and current programmer write some proper code to generate the lists I described. That being said, Anders is a shit ton nicer than I’ve ever been, I’m rooting that he tolerates you guys more.
    BTW SC2 BA coming still..

i didnt fully want to go into details bc sometimes i put my foot in my mouth , but this is exactly one of the things i was talking about. i was very had on anders in the beg for a ranking system for pubs. His baacp program actully has the basics of what your saying and what i was asking for. It just needs some tweaks and merged to the site. If people want a rank system it should be pro games only.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
    Also i think trying to have pro games helps so much , it seprates the tryhards and the avg pubby and gives lesser a better chance of crapy lobbies that they have a chance to win.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
    And honestly thank you for saying worst case you would help again bc my biggest fear is i would have to do it.

Malpheus Registered User 69 Posts Joined 2017/02/04
    2 months ago 0 0

BA is like having shitty teenagers. You lose your shit and want to kill everyone, but if something is needed I’ll always be here. It’s not easy to find the time it takes to keep improving on a bot and site all the time. Anders and Lebron have done a magnificent job overall.

poilut Game Admin 154 Posts Joined 2016/11/12
    2 months ago 0 0

Thing is, these try hard pros are like 90% of the players.. rarely I see new players, but when I see them i do try and ally them and refer them here of course.

2 months ago 0 0

again a big problem is a ranking pub system we just dont have the player base for it. And the worst part is with all the smurfing you cant blame pros always allying pros. I wish we did pros games still to give those try hards a reason to play and to help water down pub lobbies.

Also , i think the -solo command should work on ffa mode. It would get picked way more.

BamBam Registered User 34 Posts Joined 2017/06/04
    2 months ago 0 0

Its definitely good seeing you back in the mix of things Malpheus. I always come and go but have been a major part of this community for many years, and would love to see it continue. I appreciate all the work you did Malph and the continued work of Lebron and Anders. I speak for the entire community when I say we cannot thank you enough, unless of course I have a nice windfall in the future;)

Anyways, I know I have only been back a month or so I will say that coming back to some sort of ranking system is really creative and additionally needed. The only problem that arises goes along the lines of what Tony is saying. It is great and all but no new players that try our game out have a chance to compete or feel to intimidated to do so. But my thinking is that the ranking system isnt discouraging players rather somewhere along the timeline of BA we developed a pretty solid community but the influx of new players has increasingly decreased. The skill gap is to large for new players coming in to learn without being discouraged.

My solution is to somehow get ENT to autohost BA. of course ENT would have to allow for people to leave without being banned. I played a game of BA hosted by ENTs actual bot the other day and it filled with entirely new players and rather quickly. There are still a decent amount of WC3 players that can join our community. Would love to see new players having a chance to learn.

Lastly, Malph I would love to hear more about this SC2 Broken Alliances. Sounds quite intriguing. Thats cool you kept working towards extending the life of this beloved game. Of course the dream is a stand alone BA THAT COULD HAPPEN. But chances are it doesnt. Definitely need to start looking into other options as we cannot depend on our small community to hold up its end of the bargain on TFT. Eventually there will not be enough players to fill a game. Big picture guys, we need to find a way to extend the life of this game before its completely dead. I give Broken Alliances a year or two at most before games are good and gone forever.

Thanks again to everyone for all the work. Wish I wouldve done more for the community growing up. Just had to much stuff going on in my life.
    Cheers gents,
    BamBam

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of BamBam BamBam.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of BamBam BamBam.
    Registered User 273 Posts Joined 1970/01/01
    2 months ago 0 0

Malpheus: “King of the Pubs” should have been the pinnacle of achievement. Should have focused on leader boards that nurtured pub involvement, not a hybrid that tries to keep people happy. Just count shit robot.As people get other life priorities it is easier and easier to not want to do for others, especially a bunch of essentially anonymous trolls that appreciate nothing. That being said I think Anders is pretty committed unless something big has happened.I’m not aware of what the current thing is, what with ranking this or that, but ranking in general is a bad idea for a pub game. It’s like rating stick ball players while trying to recruit more stick ball players. There are quantitative things you can get at that provide better qualitative ratings, but the ratings weren’t about skill or efficiency, they were also weighted by participation to an extent. As I’ve suggested before, simple win ratios/kill ratios/burn ratios can establish multiple “best players”. These can be counted by triggers, and the triggers can feed the bot database. If for some reason the bot stops hosting i’ll pick it up and donate a couple years of it running, no problem. I’ll even have my old bot guy and current programmer write some proper code to generate the lists I described. That being said, Anders is a shit ton nicer than I’ve ever been, I’m rooting that he tolerates you guys more.
    BTW SC2 BA coming still..

The leaderboard gives my life meaning and makes me feel accomplished if I dodge lobbies hard enough.

That’s a good point about Anders being a shit ton nicer though – I mean, all I do is insult him and the roots and I still haven’t been banned yet, what nice guys!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of Shal Shal.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar